Running with version 10.0.1 MVC4/VS 2010

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Hi,

I've created a local database with SQL Express and replace the connection string, but it failed at

PopForums.Configuration.ErrorLogException was unhandled by user code
HResult=-2146233088
Message=Can't log exception: PopForums encountered the following error prior to settings being initialized: File does not exist.
Source=PopForums
StackTrace:
   at PopForums.Web.PopForumsLoggingModule.ErrorHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Download\POP Forums v10.0.1\pf\PopForums\Web\PopForumsLoggingModule.cs:line 65
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()
InnerException:

How do I set up the forum? Creating a blank home page , and try to navigate forums/setup doesn't work either..

Is Pop Forum capable of integrating VS 2010's MVC 4 "internet application" template so I can use the build in social provider membership database to authenticate the users?
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
If the file doesn't exist, then the file doesn't exist. It's trying to find a SQL Express file that isn't there. Perhaps your connection string is wrong.
Dec 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Thanks, I was able to download Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web, run the latest version 12, navigate to /Forums/Setup to create the tables for the database. This also make version 10 works with the same database under VS 2010.

I now test PopForum latest version 12 with VS 2013 express under Windows 7. When I navigate to /Forums, VS breaks at 'dynamic' page for calling PopForums.homeSetup() claiming 'object doesn't support the method...' Clicking 'continue' will make IIS Express ignore the error and render the page, but if I switch to 'mobile', then it runs again and everything looks fine. Directly navigate to http://localhost:1973/Forums/ForumHome/SwitchView?mobile=false again causes VS breaks at the call and complains of

JavaScript runtime error: Object doesn't support property or method 'homeSetup'

What goes wrong? VS 2010 runs version 10 fine with local dev server, but the VS 2013 Expression could only render mobile version of PopForum with IIS Express?
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Dude... you have to do some basic debugging here if you're going to go off script. Otherwise you should follow the instructions to the letter, make sure it's working, then start customizing.

Put a breakpoint in Chrome/Firebug/F12 tools and see what's going on with the script. IIS has nothing to do with client side errors unless you aren't referencing all of the necessary scripts.
Dec 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Yeah, it shouldn't have anything to do with the server side, and I should mentioned the issues I have is discrepancies between Firefox and IE 11. With Firefox I can navigate the forum fine, but with IE 11 only mobile version run without problem. I didn't customize any script, but will check and rebuild a new instance to see if I miss anything...