Integrating Pop Forums to an existing MVC3 Application

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Hi,

I have an application that I wish to integrate your wonderful  forum application. I will want to use your coded membership provider instead of the MS default  I have  set up originally.  To Integrate am I just going to create an Area in my application and copy all the extracted files/folders in? or how is it done?  Which folders and files should be copied into my application.

Thanks

Diin

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM

To be clear, the forum does not have a Membership provider, as in ASP.NET Membership. It does use FormsAuthentication, but it does not have a plug-n-play Membership provider.

Regarding installation and integration, check out the documentation.

There are some changes coming for v10, which should be out around the time that MVC4 is RTW'd. The biggest change, from an integration standpoint, is that you don't have to register the forum's DI container for dependency resolution anymore, so that's another line you don't need in your global.asax.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hi Again 

Thanks I have seen you have released v10. It seems I am missing a step in the documentation. You stated that the popforums.web appliction is the only bit required to integrate into your code.  Does that mean that once I have my own application setup,  I should compile the popforum separatedly and then  import only the popforums.web bit into the appropriate areas of my application  edit the config.web and global.ascx  and It will work?   Or I have to rather import my application into that of the popforums and maintain all the other default applications as they are?

Can you please clarify the integration bit I am sure most people are missing on this as I do. 

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Yes, you'll need the PopForums.dll and PopForums.Data.SqlSingleWebServer.dll assemblies as well, compiled from the other projects. Your MVC Web project should reference those compiled assemblies. Beyond that, add the stuff from the Web project into your own, including the edits to web.config and global.asax.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask question related Datavbase here..Do i have create separate tables to save the data i.e is being created while user login into my site or it is done automatically in this forum..Please reply asap

thanks,
Garima
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I don't understand the question. If you follow the documentation, and can make the forum run, you're good to go.
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Edited Apr 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I am getting error "file does not exist". Also changed connection string according to system configuration. I am not getting where exactly the problem is? Is it because of database ?
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
It's not a file-based database. You have to go deeper than that, like figure out what file it's complaining doesn't exist.
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I dont know why I was getting this error .Can you provide me documentation for integrating popforum with MVC3?
I have downloaded code,built it and then run it and got the following error:

Error activating ISettingsRepository
No matching bindings are available, and the type is not self-bindable.
Activation path:
2) Injection of dependency ISettingsRepository into parameter settingsRepository of constructor of type SettingsManager
1) Request for ISettingsManager

Suggestions:
1) Ensure that you have defined a binding for ISettingsRepository.
2) If the binding was defined in a module, ensure that the module has been loaded into the kernel.
3) Ensure you have not accidentally created more than one kernel.
4) If you are using constructor arguments, ensure that the parameter name matches the constructors parameter name.
5) If you are using automatic module loading, ensure the search path and filters are correct.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Ninject.ActivationException: Error activating ISettingsRepository
No matching bindings are available, and the type is not self-bindable.
Activation path:
2) Injection of dependency ISettingsRepository into parameter settingsRepository of constructor of type SettingsManager
1) Request for ISettingsManager

Suggestions:
1) Ensure that you have defined a binding for ISettingsRepository.
2) If the binding was defined in a module, ensure that the module has been loaded into the kernel.
3) Ensure you have not accidentally created more than one kernel.
4) If you are using constructor arguments, ensure that the parameter name matches the constructors parameter name.
5) If you are using automatic module loading, ensure the search path and filters are correct.

I am asking do I need a separate database for integrating it to my website??? Or i just have to place the whole downloaded code to my website folder under forum.??How can I make it working??

thanks

thanks
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
It's an MVC4 app, it won't work with MVC3.
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Is there any alternate you can suggest me ??