Is the source code available through a version control system like Mercurial or Git?

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I've been looking over POP Forums and it's easily the best forum software for ASP.NET that I've come across, especially when compared to other open source .NET offerings.  Thanks for putting it out there!

We are looking at using it within our organization and may eventually have improvements to contribute back.  Is there a formal process for this?  Do you accept code from users?

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM

There isn't a formal process, per se, but I've taken in a couple of bug fixes and what not. I'll consider adding in contributions on a case by case basis, considering quality, feature sets, etc. If you have something in mind, it's probably easiest to just drop me e-mail (jeff@popw.com).

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM

So what would be the best way for us to keep up with your changes, new features, etc?  Is there a repository we can fork?

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I keep the repo on my own box, so the latest release is the latest release. I may eventually move it here on CodePlex, but I'd lose a couple of years of history unless I try one of those conversion things.

The beta for v9.3 should be up some time today... a beta to coincide with the MVC4 release that happened about 15 minutes ago. :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM

We'll wait for the next drop then before beginning our deployment.  I'd really love to see it in a publicly available repo though.  :D

MVC4: There's going to be some great rejoicing (and a lot of swearing) around the office today!

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Fantastic stuff in there... very exciting.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM

So how about it? Feeling any love for Mercurial?

One of the first things my boss is going to ask me for is the ability to upload photos.  I'm looking at the file manager in BlogEngine.NET for inspiration and thinking that since they are going to pay me to build it...

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I like Hg... I've used it in a couple of gigs, including at Microsoft (I was actually on the team that included CodePlex back in '10).

Are you talking about attaching photos to posts? The Image controller already has fairly extensible code to do the serving part (handles 304's and such), so it would just be a matter of having an auxiliary table for the data. If you want to draw up what you think that use case looks like and submit it on the issue tracker, I might just add it.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

As requested, I have submitted a use case for attaching images to posts.